Thursday 21 February 2013

TOUCHING TIBET - NIEMA ASH



RATING:A

This is a book about traveling through Tibet, but so much more. It clearly depicts the difference between the kindly, cheerful Tibetan people and the stiff n starchy Chinese. It offers insight into the Tibetan customs and attitudes.

The piece where it refers to Western V Tibetan attitude to dead bodies is very interesting - as I share the Tibetan view. Sky burials make so much more sense than cremation or burial to me. Tibetan Buddhism = sanity in an insane world.

Maybe I am more Tibetan than Western - the 'bedtime rituals' on page 170 are nothing like mine for example and I value spiritual wealth far more than material.

I would recommend this book to those interested in reading about Tibet a few decades ago, the Tibetan people & culture, the Tibetan problems with China, and those interested in travel within Himalayan countries.


No comments:

Post a Comment