Monday 13 May 2013

THE WISE HEART - JACK KORNFIELD








RATING: C+

What is known as 'mood contagion' or 'limbic resonance' interests me from page 17 & continuing into 'mirror neurons' on page 26. I also found chapter three's recognition of know-mind and knowing something easy to relate to. I had found these from personal observation before knowing what to call them! I found the Buddha's words that open chapter 19 a helpful reminder. The chapter on concentration explains my pre-Buddhist practice/study abilities quite well.

I did find it difficult to jump from one mode of Buddhism to another so frequently - but that is me at fault and not the text. When first exploring Buddhism, I liked to read of all types, until settling into Thai Forrest and Tibetan Vajrayana. Then I became absorbed in these, and other forms slipped out of sight as I focused on what I personally round helpful and relevant. So this text reminded me that Dzogchen-Nyingma is not the only Buddhist practice and reacquainted me with other forms of Buddhism. However, I do find this difficult, as in its modern Western format Buddhism can be all mish-mashed together and not really retain the essence of any specific practice.

I would recommend this book to those interested in psychology from a Buddhist aspect, but not to serious students of a specific lineage or practice. I would also recommend the book to those interested in Buddhism but not yet involved with a personal study.

No comments:

Post a Comment