Wednesday 3 September 2014

FOREST MEDITATIONS - BHIKKHU KHANTIPALO








FOREST MEDITATIONS - BHIKKHU KHANTIPALO

RATING: B

This book covers the verses of Arahant Talaputa Thera along with a commentary given to explain them. One of the first book on Buddhism I read was the life story of Acariya Mun, which is mentioned within this book. Yet again, as explained in recent posts, to hear a new version of an already known Dharma point can often be helpful for both revision and continuation of practice.

Theravada monks use a different language, based on Pali translations, for explaining Buddhism which I find easier to understand than many of the Western commentaries that use modern Western terminology that I have some difficulty with. It is therefore helpful for me to hear the same points rendered in different ways so I can pick up any point that I might have missed due to Sanskrit/Tibetan translation into modern English/American terms. This book also taught me a new word in my own language - I had never heard of 'horripilation' before.

I would therefore recommend this book to Buddhist practitioners seeking clarification or elaboration from another viewpoint on Buddhist basics as well as Theravada Buddhists.

No comments:

Post a Comment