Sunday 3 October 2010

The Wise Heart - Jack Kornfield

RATING: B+
One of two Western Buddhist writers I remain unsure of - I read one book that meant very little to me, but here comes a second that I can understand very well. With me, I prefer Buddhist books that can expand my understanding somewhat, whilst clarifying matters I have already half-learned - and this book does just that!

I especially noted page 37-8, these writings are something I can relate to. In fact, as a whole, Buddhist psychology is far more comprehensible than western world psychology - it actually makes sense! (Maybe I was born with Buddhist brains!)

I found the words of page 68 especially wise, and starting at page 103 reads good. Page 119 was also helpful to me. As I progressed -slowly - through the book, I found a lot of helpful matter - either to consider or reconsider. I found a new practice to follow described in the elemental analysis, and I found pages 301-2 to contain a useful practice. Another useful item is the jnana listing on page 320.

Some beautiful words on the last few pages stand out for me to focus on over the next few days -
“May I/you learn to see  the arising and passing of all things  with equanimity and balance
May I/you be open and balanced and peaceful

No comments:

Post a Comment