Sunday 5 June 2011

THE DHAMMAPADA - GIL FRONSDAL & READ BY JACK KORNFIELD



RATING - B

This is the third version of The Dhammapada that I have read, and the second that I own. Although an essential for the Hinayana practitioner, it also comes in handy for the Mahayana practitioner in way of being a 'safety net' for when other reading material/practices become extremely complex and you just want to relax as you read yet have something good to read.

I find that after having read quite a few Dzogchen books and texts recently, new views fall into place when reading books that I have already read such as this one. I would have to say that I am not too fond on the lenience in translation that allows some of the he/hims to be read as she/hers, however - I prefer my texts to be accurate rather than politically correct.

I would recommend The Dhammapada to anyone, Buddhist or not, seeking verses of wisdom - but not necessarily this specific translation, unless you are a feminist rather than a precision lover.

No comments:

Post a Comment