Monday 31 March 2014

NINE LIVES - WILLIAM DALRYMPLE


RATING:C

This book contains nine stories from various Indian beings of differing religious and social standing. The very first story gave me someone to relate to, in their sharing of my attitude towards death among other matters. I too am opposed to Western medicine, though not for the same reasons, and I too wish to die naturally rather than prolong my ailing body by pill~popping when something arises that cannot be cured without.

I related well to this first tale, as I also shared a rejection of vehicular use, have lived several of my more than 40 years with one meal a day, and hold ahimsa as higher priority than convention. The stories continued, traversing such variables as Godly whores, blind singers and soldier monks.

I would recommend the book to those interested in seeing a different side of India from the conventionally seen city life.

No comments:

Post a Comment