Monday 24 March 2014

SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET - HEINRICH HARRER


RATING: B+

Predominantly a good read, spoiled by my not being able to attune to the Western viewpoint from which it is written. For one example, the use of prayerwheels is referred to as 'childlike', whereas it is something I myself have faith in and consider to be meaningful. I have not seen the movie that was made from this book, but as it is not shot in Tibet itself, I have no inclination to move beyond this book, which gives insight into the Tibetan way of life ~ that I can relate to far easier than that of my own culture.

I would recommend the book to those interested in the Tibetan way of life shortly before it was ruined by Chinese invasion and those interested in seeing Tibetan culture through Western eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment