Monday 1 August 2011

CHILD OF TIBET - SONAME YANGCHEN








RATING - A -

I intend to read a selection of autobiographical books from Tibetan Buddhists. There is something about Tibetan culture that is both appealing and easy to understand - I have never related well to my own background, which to me does not make sense or offer very much of use for living life. I found this book enchanting - the author made sense, as Tibetans and Eastern Buddhists often do!

I was amazed at learning that for one period of her life, she had herself lived in Brighton, Sussex - for so had I! In fact, I live not very far from this very town at the present moment after more than 2 decades overseas. Additionally, that she related to a seagull and blackbird stood out strongly to me - for I spent much time hanging out with birds whilst living in Wollongong and I even wrote a book about my precious feathered friends. I found her attitude to Buddhism and HHDL beautiful - so unlike many of my fellow Westerners.

I was intrigued to learn of the significance of 49 as an age relevant to dying and troubles - as this falls within the 2-8 years I have yet to live. I think it would be amazing if that were the actual age I were to drop this body and greet my next set of skin clothes. Her reaction to England as a favorable living place was strange to me - a native Brit - as I do not find it a pleasing place to live at all. Seen through another woman's eyes, it brings understanding of good points that I would otherwise have missed entirely.

I would recommend this book to anyone not afraid to cry along between moments of relief that wanted to learn a little of the Tibetan people, Buddhist belief, and life in 'other places' that I myself find more understandable than that around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment