Friday 26 August 2011

THE DANCE OF 17 LIVES - MICK BROWN


RATING - C+

This book tells of another Tibetan born Buddhist and deals with their escape from Chinese occupied Tibet. This is the third story I have read about Tibetans seeking and reaching safety and freedom in exile.

Although I found the book a hard read, mainly due to its overly political stance, it was sprinkled with enough Buddhism to keep me going. Page 52 talks of birds in a way I found delightful, having had personal experience of birds that have behaved in strange-for-bird ways myself. I was also interested to read that 37 is a supposedly difficult age - looking back, I can only agree! At the same time HH the 17th Karmapa was making his great escape, I too was traveling on an escape - but only temporarily getting away from a difficult home situation onto an overseas vacation.

Although not from my own lineage, the Karmapas are a major part of Tibetan Buddhism. I would recommend this book to those wishing to know about the important reincarnations of Tibetan Buddhists, those in the Kagyu lineages, and those - like myself - wishing to learn about the situation, culture and religion of Tibet.

No comments:

Post a Comment