Monday 1 July 2013

HIMALAYA - MICHAEL PALIN


RATING: B-

This book was a relaxation book - one I could pick up and put down whenever I felt like it, rather than a study manual that I needed to focus intensely upon. I have an interest in the Himalayan region - its cuisine, religion, friends, lifestyle and culture in general appeal. It was interesting to get a different take on areas where I have a few friends living, have tasted (via DIY) the cuisine, and relate to the landscapes. I appreciate MP's attitude far more than the majority of famed British travelers, many of whom I would choose never to read another book from again. 

This actual book was purchased cheaply, secondhand, at a library sale in Worthing back in 2010. I began reading it straight away - but after a few pages, it got topped by a pile of books that were new and not yet read, and somewhat got trapped below them for some time. I recently shuffled my book piles around - in order to stack them with more books without toppling over - and this book got left near the top, enabling me to continue to read it. 

I would recommend the book to Michael Palin fans, people interested in the Himalayan region, travel enthusiasts, those wanting to dive beyond one aspect into others of the various regions, and also to those interested in photographs of this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment