Tuesday 21 February 2012

LARGE IN TIME - RICK HUTCHINS








RATING: B

SURPRISE! I actually read a poetry book, rather than a Buddhist studies/philosophy book or a travel guide! My idea has been to indulge in a few books that various friends of mine have written from time to time, and I recently selected a couple of Rick's to 'try out'. This is the first.

There is definitely a wide selection both in style and subject matter. I could not help but notice the word 'honeysuckle' popping up in several of the poems. My favorite verses include 'Take Your Medicine', 'Especially Valerie', and a few of the untitled ones.

I would recommend Rick's poetry book to those interested in looking out for a new poet of the 21st century - one who that appears to adore honeysuckle - which is not a bad thing.

2 comments:

  1. Well, what a nice surprise. Thank you very much. I'm glad you enjoyed the book and I appreciate the nice review.

    And you're quite right, honeysuckle does appear in my poems quite a bit. I used to sit out by the honeysuckle vine in back of the house and read when I was a kid. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to have honeysuckle here once upon a time too - now, only our neighbor has any - i tried to tak a cutting in a pot on my sill, but it didnt take! we used to have a large bush in wollongong - as i pinched a piece from the beach, where it was a weed....

    ReplyDelete