Thursday 16 February 2012

MARPA - HERITAGE CLASSICS


RATING: B

This is one of a couple of books I purchased last year on the great masters. They concern people whose names crop up frequently, though little has yet been learnt by me about them. I aim to try to read up on several of the great masters in between bouts of serious study reading and Tibetan escapee autobiographies.

The poetic verses on page 29-30, 105-7, along with song 9 all stand out strongly to me. I was fascinated to hear of the physical struggles of gold collecting and traveling involved. Also, the way Marpa traveled to various teachers rather than basing himself upon a single guru as is more often done these days stood out.

I would reccommend the book to those seeking a basic biography of Marpa - those who have heard the name, but know little about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment